Inserting Mathematica-generated EPS files into PowerPoint? (on a Mac)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34525] Inserting Mathematica-generated EPS files into PowerPoint? (on a Mac)
  • From: aes <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 02:42:53 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I can insert Mathematica-generated EPS image files into PowerPoint 98 slides
without trouble using the "Insert picture from file" command in PPT.

Resizing these files by the usual "drag the corner handle" method, however,
typically results in a really lousy image -- small changes in size lead to lots
of aliasing artifacts, large expansions lead to very crude pixelly images. This
occurs both in slide edit and Slide Show modes.

I assume this is because PPT is using only a low-resolution bitmap preview from
the EPS file to make the screen (and projector) display, rather than actually
rendering the PostScript image.  Yet the PostScript data must be still in the
PPT file, because if I print the lousy-looking PPT slide to PDF, the same image
looks great in the Acrobat page created from the slide.

Any plugins or other ways to fix this?  Is PPT 2000 any better?

(Or does MS deliberately sabotage EPS images to hassle users of Adobe products?)