A question about Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34559] A question about Mathematica
  • From: Chen-Ying Huang <chenying at ccms.ntu.edu.tw>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 01:17:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

   I have a question about Mathematica and yet I couldn't find an answer
to. Could you please consider giving me a help on this? This is not a
long question and I hope it won't bother you too much.

   I was doing some computations. A computation gives me something like
A/A, another computation gives me something like B/B. I then do a
true-false statement, that is, If [A/A>=B/B, 1, 0]. Since both
computations (A/A and B/B) equal to one, the statement is true and hence
the If statement should lend a 1 as specified.

   However, I found out that the If statement lends a zero because
somehow, in the computations, A/A is less than B/B by the order of 10 to
the power of -16.

   Some friends told me that it must be because the bytes used by the
computations A/A and B/B are different, so to correct this problem, I
should assign the maximum byte to each object.

   Since I am not very familiar with Mathematica, after an afternoon's
search, I still have no clue about how to do that.

   Could anyone give me a help on this? I really appreciate it.

ChenYing Huang