Re: Pb Limit ArcTan to : - Infinity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34645] Re: [mg34624] Pb Limit ArcTan to : - Infinity
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 04:26:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

i think the answer is that Series does not expand around -Infinity, only
about Infinity. Presumably this is because the expansions are meant to
be interpreted as given in the complex plane. You can check that using
-Infinity and Infinity gives the same series (at least in all the cases
I have checked). However, you can always use:

In[16]:=
Normal[Series [ ArcTan [ -x ] , { x ,  Infinity , 2 }]]

Out[16]=
   Pi    1
-(--) + -
   2     x