Re: Re: indeterminate expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37665] Re: [mg37606] Re: indeterminate expression
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 02:14:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am not "strongly" against your suggestion, but I am wondering if
there may not be situation when someone would find it inconvenient.
For example, consider the following (admittedly rather contrived)
example.  Suppose you have an expression p=a1^n1*a2^n2*... where all ai
and ni are functions of x. Setting x to 0 and checking that you get a
non-zero answer you can now conclude that a1,a2,a3 ... are all non-zero
at x=0. If 0^0 was 1 you would not longer be able to do that. What I
really mean to say is that 1 obtained as 0^0 may not for all purposes
be "as good" as 1 obtained in  a more normal way. I am sure this sort
of problem would be rare but I suspect eventually someone would write
to the mathgroup to complain about it :)

Andrzej

On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 03:05 PM, DWCantrell at aol.com wrote:

> andrzej at platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp writes:
>
>>  I think it may not be such a good idea for a programming language to
>>  always return 1 for 0^0.
>
> Allow me to clarify my position. Since this is a Mathematica newsgroup,
> I had assumed that, when I wrote 0, it was understood that I was not
> talking about 0.0 also. I suggest that 0^0 should be 1, just as
> previously.
> Furthermore, to clarify things, I also suggest that 0.0^0 should be 1
> but
> that 0^0.0 and 0.0^0.0 should be Indeterminate.
>
> Notes:
> (1) One of the computer algebra systems to which I had alluded earlier
> makes this very type of distinction, based upon whether the exponent
> is 0 or 0.0 .
> (2) Suggesting that the two latter expressions should be Indeterminate
> clearly goes against Kahan's position. He would have them be 1.0
> instead.
>
> Andrzej: Do you perhaps find my position, now that it has been made
> clearer, to be acceptable?
>
> Regards,
>   David Cantrell
>
>>  There are cases when 1 is the natural interpretation (as in the
>>  original posting) but there are also cases when this sort of thing is
>>  the result of something going wrong somewhere in one's input. If the
>>  answer is always 1 then NumericQ[0^0]?@will be True and in general it
>>  will be hard to catch this sort of error (when it is an error). So it
>>  may be better to keep things as they are and resort instead to the
>>  folowing simple idea:
>>
>>  Define the function myPower:
>>

>>  myPower[0,0]=1;
>>
>>  Now perform your computation inside Block as follows:
>>

>>  Block[{Power=myPower},expr]/.myPower->Power
>>
>>  where expr is your expression involving 0^0 . I think this is
>>  preferable to simply re-defining Power, although of course it is easy
>>  enough to do that.

>>> I agree with that statement _only_ because this newsgroup concerns
>>> Mathematica, in which 0^0 is indeed called Indeterminate. However,
>>> many
>>> mathematicians (including myself) take 0^0 to be 1. See, for example,
>>> the article "What is 0^0?" at
>>> <http://db.uwaterloo.ca/~alopez-o/math-faq/node40.html>.
>>> Furthermore, some other computer algebra systems (in this newsgroup,
>>> I'm not supposed to name them, if I understand correctly) consider
>>> 0^0
>>> to be 1.
>>>
>>> Note that of course the _limit form_ 0^0 is indeterminate. No
>>> question
>>> about that. But we are not concerned with a limit form here; rather,
>>> we
>>> are concerned with just the arithmetic expression 0^0.

>>> As to this good question of yours, I'll defer to those more
>>> experienced
>>> with Mathematica. I'll be interested in their answers.
>>>
>>> Ultimately however, I would like to see 0^0 = 1 by default in
> [...]
Andrzej Kozlowski
Yokohama, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/
http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/