Re: Not getting answer to differential equation DSolve expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38024] Re: Not getting answer to differential equation DSolve expression
  • From: Tom Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:49:00 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 11/24/02 10:55 PM, in article arshgo$e3c$1 at smc.vnet.net, "Diana"
<diana53xiii at earthlink.remove13.net> wrote:

> What does it mean when I submit a differential equation, and the same
> equation appears as the output?
>
> I have tried this equation:
>
> DSolve[y'[x] == (-x^2 + 2 y[x]^(-3))/(2 x y[x] - 3 x^2), y[x], x]
>
> Is it too complicated for the program?

Yes, in general, if Mathematica returns input unprocessed without comment,
you may conclude that Mathematica cannot process it, for whatever reason.
(Sometimes Mathematica is not sure why, so better to say nothing. In this
case, perhaps a hint would be nice.) This differential equation, though not
"complicated", is strongly nonlinear. Few such DE's admit analytical
solutions. Try NDSolve.

Tom Burton