Re: Re: Re: Are configuration & UI better in 4.2?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36964] Re: [mg36909] Re: Re: Are configuration & UI better in 4.2?
  • From: Gerald Roth <gerald.roth at aon.at>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 00:17:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hi

> AFAIK, Mac OS is now BSD or something like that.  That makes it almost
> certain that it could support QT.  As I pointed out in another post, I can
> run the KDE on Windows XP.  I haven't been in the trenches with the Qt
> coders working on cross platform (Windows/Linux, etc.) development, but my
> impression is, it really is 'code once, run everywhere'.

i've checked the trolltech hp. qt fully supports the following OS:
MS Windows 95/98/Me, NT4, 2000 and XP.
Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX, AIX, and many other Unix variants.
Mac OS X.

> This is one of the reasons I am such a Mozilla fan. Konqueror works quite
> well as a browser for Linux, and out-does Mozilla for file fetching and the
> like.  But Mozilla runs everywhere with more or less a uniform look and
> feel.  Yes, Mozilla is written with Gtk and not with Qt, but that just
> shows that WRI has options.

i'm not sure if it is allowed to create a closed-source product like the
mathematica fronend based on a gpl'ed library like gtk. with qt you have the
possibility to buy licenses for the commercial version of qt, allowing you to
create closed-source apps.

> I'm a KDE fan.  I've used the KDE since it was in alpha 0.4.  I remember
> back when it would compile in a few minutes on a pentium II.  Now it takes
> several hours on a P4.

i started with beta1 (if i remember correctly) - sure it is really big now,
but i think kde is still far away from being bloated.....

imagine the mathematica frontend being seamlessly integrated into the linux
ui's look and feel....

> I've always hated motif.  The file chooser simply stinks. And that's just a
> start.

the whole motif ui stinks....:-)

gerald

Gerald Roth