RE: Mathematica stole my X so I had to kill it

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36991] RE: Mathematica stole my X so I had to kill it
  • From: Steven <hattons at speakeasy.net>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 05:01:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

DrBob wrote:

> That makes about twenty posts this week detailing nothing but problems
> with Mathematica on Linux.  The BEST thing we've heard was somebody's
> opinion that it might be worthwhile to run a Kernel on Linux (but not
> the FrontEnd).
>
> That's more than enough bad news to talk me out of switching to Linux.
> I had been really considering it.
>
> Bobby

A few other points on this topic, if I may. I've found solutions to a lot of
the problems I was having, and documented them.  For example, I have the
keyboard working the way I want it. C-x, C-v, C-c, C-z, all do what I
expect them to, as does Delete. I used to have X restarts after extended
periods of running Mathematica. That I haven't had recently.  I may simply have
thrashed X when I clicked too many buttons in sequence.  I just wanted to
report that it happened.  The same thing might happen on XP.  I've had my
problems there as well.  Not with Mathematica, but with other programs.  I haven't
even attempted Mathematica on XP. I'm sure it is a bit smoother to use.
Mathematica on Linux *is* very usable.  Especially after I _fixed_ the keyboard.

I guess I was just a bit upset at the sense that WRI are still stuck in the
20th century paradigm that Unix/Linux is 'supposed to be' hard to use.  I'm
just completing my download of KDE 3.1 Beta 2. Things have changed.

Gotta go install a few rpms and restart X.

Bye,

STH