trouble with pattern matching & manipulating

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37013] trouble with pattern matching & manipulating
  • From: Troy Goodson <Troy.D.Goodson at jpl.nasa.gov>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 05:33:06 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm a newbie and, of course, the first thing I want to do is apparently
one of the most complicated...

I have an expression that looks like this:

A + B/C + D*Sqrt[E]/C = 0

A,B,C,D, & E are all polynomials in x
I want it to look like this

(D^2)*E = (A*C + B)^2

At that point, I'll have polynomials in x on both sides.  Finally, I
want the equation to be written out with terms grouped by powers of x,
but I think I can do that part :)

I'll be very grateful to anyone who can give me some pointers.  Or, at
least point me to some tutorial in the Mathematica documentation.  I've
been looking over the documentation and I found Appendix A.5 in The
Mathematica Book, but that doesn't help me.  I _need_ some examples. I
did find a couple of well-written posts in this newsgroup, but not quite
close enough to what I want.

Thanks!

Troy.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

FYI, here's the expression I'm working with.

denom = Sqrt[(B^2 - r^2)^2 + 4*(r^2)*(b^2)]
cnu = (2*b^2 - B^2 + r^2)/denom
snu = -2*b*Sqrt[B^2 - b^2]/denom
sif = 2*r*b/denom
cif = (r^2 - B^2)/denom

pdr  = -Cos[ds]*Sin[q]*(snu*cif +
  cnu*sif) - Sin[ds]*(cnu*cif - snu*sif)

  r^2) - 2*w*b*V*Cos[q]*Cos[ds] + (w*
  r)^2 - (w*r*pdr)^2)*(Cos[qr])^2

Although I said it's a polynomial in x, it's really a polynomial in "b"
that I'm after.