OT:RE: Mathematica stole my X so I had to kill it

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37041] OT:RE: Mathematica stole my X so I had to kill it
  • From: Steven <hattons at speakeasy.net>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 05:24:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

David Park wrote:

> Yes, there seems to be a lot of people who have a visceral hatred for
> Microsoft and Windows. They are even willing to "shed blood" to avoid
> Windows. But why? Windows works and you don't have to become a systems
> programmer.
>
> Furthermore, I think that Steven Wolfram uses some version of Windows. So
> guess which system Mathematica will be best tuned up for?
>
> I have no problems with Mathematica and Windows on my single computer.
> There may be reasons for using a non-Microsoft operating system. But if
> you are going to do it, make certain that they are good reasons.

In general, the functionality I get with SuSE Linux, out of the box, exceeds
that of Windows XP by orders of magnitude.  I recall when I first started
using Linux back in 1997 (IIRC).  The GUI made the CDE look good!.  I had
been using Windows NT since October of 1992.  (Yes, I know it hadn't been
released at that time.  That should tell you something.) I wrote a term
paper on the architecture of NT.  In 1997 I was well on my way to being an
MCSE.

I complained about the lack of a decent GUI to the SuSE Linux English
mailing list.  The responses I received ranged from, 'real men don't need
no stinkin' GUI' to 'have a look at the KDE project'.  I took the latter
route.  The KDE has gone from a simple graphical desktop with a few more
features than the CDE, (and a lot more glitches) to being the best desktop
available.  It's growth seems to be exponential.  Windows seems, at best,
to be linear.

All of these are usability issues.  There is another reason I don't like
using Microsoft products.  I've also been using Mozilla since 1995. (Yes,
it has always been called Mozilla.) I was one of the original beta testers
for the Netscape line of internet servers.  When I saw what Netscape
Communications were aiming for, Windows quickly lost its luster.  Netscape
products were designed from the ground up with portability in mind.  They
were striving for uniform functionality across all platforms.

I also saw what Microsoft did to undermine Netscape's R & D resources.
Microsoft would condescend to having not competition in their market.
Where I come from, people don't put up with that.  Where do I come from? I
was born in Illinois.

I'm obviously not of the opinion that closed source is unacceptable.  I
wouldn't be using Mathematica if I were.  I suspect one day Mathematica  will face a
real open source challeng.  Her name is Charolette. She is the mother of
Mozilla.  That will probably be years from now.  WRI need to be prepared to
adjust to that eventuality when it comes.

> David Park
> djmp at earthlink.net
> http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

STH