Plotting direction fields for a logistic equation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37199] Plotting direction fields for a logistic equation
  • From: Ruben Garcia <rubgb at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:26:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi there:
I've been trying to use PlotVectorField for the
following differential equation:
dy/dt = 0.08*y*(1-y/1000)
but I haven't been successful yet.
I tried to do the following:
f[t_, y_] := {1, 0.08*y*(1 - y/1000)}
<<Graphics`PlotField`
PlotVectorField[f[t, y], {t, 0, 80}, {y, 0, 1400}];
but I'm getting a meaningless plot so I'd appreciate
if someone could tell me what is what I'm doing wrong.
Thank you very much in advance,
Ruben