Re: Off by 0.00000001, Why?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37386] Re: [mg37378] Off by 0.00000001, Why?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murraye at attbi.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 02:03:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Under Mathematica 4.2, I obtain the same result as you -- off by 1 in
the last decimal place displayed from what is shown in Maeder's book.

That was on a Pentium 4 PC.  Could it be that Maeder was using a
different hardware platform, and that that alone would account for the
difference?  Actually, I'd be surprised if that were the reason, because
I applied NumberForm[%, 15] to the result and obtained:

    0.00157908413803032

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
710 North Pleasant Street