random derangement

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37416] random derangement
  • From: "DIAMOND Mark R." <dot at dot.dot>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 06:33:16 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This is not quite aposite to either NG, but there appear to be none better
... My apologies.

I am searching for an algorithm for producing a random derangement of, for
instance, the integers 1 to approx 10000.

I thought Skiena's site might have such an algorithm, but I could not locate
one. ... Producing all derangements and choosing one at random is marginally
beyond the capacity of my machine :-)

Cheers,

Mark R. Diamond