Re: Not quite a Swell FLOOP?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37433] Re: [mg37430] Not quite a Swell FLOOP?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 00:09:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Roman Maeder's package is meant for teaching computer science not for
general use. Whether Mathematica would benefit from OO functionality
has been a matter of some very heated debate, which you can find in
this groups archives.
Personally I am somewhere in the middle on this. I think it would be
useful for developing packages for some very highly structured areas of
mathematics (e.g. Algebraic Geometry). But for most applications in
mathematics and physics the mixture of pattern based and functional
programming offered by Mathematica is close to ideal and an additional
programming paradigm would just get in the way. I don't think we need
built in support for OOP in Mathematica but I am sure many would
welcome a good AddOn package.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Yokohama, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/