Re: Not quite a Swell FLOOP?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37452] Re: [mg37430] Not quite a Swell FLOOP?
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 00:51:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 12:07 am, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> I have no particular disagreements with anything in your interesting
> message. However, I do not see anything in it that, in my opinion,
>
> actually needs

I once read a scientific paper describing a Hindu ascetic who had himself
sealed in an air-tight 'coffin' for several hours with a candle burning next
to him.  He survived, and IIRC, the candle was still burning.  *Need* is a
relative statement. ;-)

> object oriented programming. In particular:
> >  The
> > very statement that 'a tensor is a geometric object which remains
> > invariant
> > under coordinate trasfromations' screams OOP to me.
>
> That's really just a matter of choosing how you think about these
> things. I prefer to think of tensors without any reference to
> coordinate transformations, they are just multi-linear mappings.

Multi-linear mappings of what?  I mistated the definition a bit.   I should
have said that a tensor is a geometric object independent of any particular
coordinate system.  The fact that it's invariant under coordinate
transformations, is a result of this refined definition.  Nonetheless, the
concept of a tensor completely void of all coordinate systems is, to me, the
sound of one hand clapping.

> That
> makes it extremely easy to define and manipulate tensors in
> Mathematica. No need here to think of objects.

I believe this depends on what you are doing with the tensor.  To soe extent,
I might agree with you.  I believe a philosophical analysis would demonstrate
that the non-objective concept of a tensor is just a case of form defining
contour.  I'm interested in the geometric nature of tensors, and more
specifically, in the geometric nature of the objects which tensors describe.

> However, the situation
> becomes different when you want to consider tensor algebras as objects
> in a wider class of of objects, like graded algebras, which in turn are
> a subclass of an even wider class of algebras etc. For considering such
> kind of hierarchical structures OOP is very useful and that is why
> programs designed for this purpose, (like Macaulay II) adopt a very
> much OOP approach.

This is a bit beyond my current understanding, but it sounds to me that you
are focusing on the algegraic nature of tensors.  That's certainly an
interesting area, and for your purposes, objects may not be beneficial.

> In some sense of course OOP is the opposite of
> functional programming (particularly when combined with pattern
> matching). The former emphasizes data and their hierarchies while the
> latter concentrates on functions and their hierarchies. The two
> programming style are very different.

Then of course, we have the possible view that functions are objects, which
seems to contradict the view that these are conflicting approaches.

> (As a programmer I much prefer
> functional programming but as a user of a ready made program I often
> find OOP preferable). There are of course languages which contain both,
> such as object oriented versions of Common Lisp.

I read about this stuff many, many, many years ago.  FLOOP means Functional
List Object Oriented Programming.  See _Goedel, Escher, Bach_, by Hofstadter,
1979.  I wasn't a programmer then, and my understanding of the topic bordered
on the mythical, at the time.  I would really need to review the subject
before I could confidently address this.

> As I wrote earlier I
> would very much like to see a good OOP package for Mathematica, but I
> do not think I would like WRI to devote serious effort to develop such
> a functionality for Mathematica if it were to come at the expense of
> other things I am hoping to see in future versions.

A place I believe OOP would naturally benefit Mathematica is in the area of
XML and particularly implementing the DOM IDL.  There seem to be some
problems with Mathematica's XML implementation.  I suspect a good OOP
approach might help in preventing some of these problems in the future.  As
regards implementing the Document Object Model IDL, 'Object'  is it's middle
name.