2 gifs side by side -- with hyperlinks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36469] 2 gifs side by side -- with hyperlinks
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 03:30:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

(1) Is there a way in Mathematica 4.2 to put two separate gifs into a
single, cell side by side (with some intervening space), without
having to combine them in some graphics program first?

In particular, I'd like to do that within a text cell.

Even in a new Input cell, if I first create a GridBox (via Inut>Create
Table/Matrix/Palette) and then try to insert the first gif (via
Edit>Insert Object>Create from File ....), Mathematica promptly
crashes.    (Mathematica 4.2 under Windows 2000.)

I just don't see how to get anything other than a single gif into a
cell.

(2) Is there a way to cause a gif imported into a Mathematica 4.2
notebook to become a hyperlink -- so that when the user clicks on the
gif the hyperlink's target is summoned?

(My aim in all this is to use Mathematica to create web pages with
high mathematical content -- saving the notebook as HTML+MathML --
without having to do any extensive editing of the resulting .xml and
related files.  That way as the source Mathematica notebook changes, I
would need only to re-export without further tinkering with the .xml
file, etc.)

  Murray Eisenberg                       Internet:  murray at math.umass.edu
  Mathematics & Statistics Dept.            Voice:  413-545-2859 (W)
  University of Massachusetts                       413-549-1020 (H)
  Amherst, MA 01003                           Fax:  413-545-1801