RE: Re: fourier transform time

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36464] RE: [mg36446] Re: fourier transform time
  • From: "DrBob" <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 03:30:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Caution: the definition

b[n_] := Evaluate[(2/L)*Integrate[f[x]*Sin[n*Pi*x/L], {x, 0, L}]];

doesn't immediately compute the integral unless f is already defined at
this point, and in that case you may as well write

b[n_] = (2/L)*Integrate[f[x]*Sin[n*Pi*x/L], {x, 0, L}];

instead.  If b will be computed more than once for the same n, its even
better to do it THIS way (if f and L do not change):

f[x_] = Cos[x] (* for example *)
Simplify[Integrate[f[x]*Sin[n*Pi*(x/L)], {x, 0, L}]]

(L*((-n)*Pi + n*Pi*Cos[L]*Cos[n*Pi] + L*Sin[L]*Sin[n*Pi]))/
    ((L - n*Pi)*(L + n*Pi))
   (L*((-n)*Pi + n*Pi*Cos[L]*Cos[n*Pi] + L*Sin[L]*Sin[n*Pi]))/
    ((L - n*Pi)*(L + n*Pi))

Bobby