RE: RE: RE: Generating Two Unit Orthogonal Vectors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36498] RE: [mg36476] RE: [mg36448] RE: Generating Two Unit Orthogonal Vectors
  • From: "DrBob" <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 00:29:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Daniel,

I don't mean to be overly critical of WRI's documentation -- it's very
good, as such things go.  Nor do I like to overlook chances to make it
better.  Do you?

Your own comments below point out that we should expect vectors
resulting from NullSpace to be "orthonormal by the usual
conjugate-symmetric inner product on C".  But that's not spelled out
(documented) for dummies like myself who don't know that's a natural
result of singular values decomposition.

The "mission" of NullSpace (or any function) is to adhere to
documentation, so reasonable persons may differ on whether orthogonality
is a feature we should depend on.

The mission of documentation is to tell us what to expect.  When it
doesn't, the result is that we spend all this time discussing issues
online, trying to figure things out.  A simple "don't depend on
orthogonal results" would be nice, if that's the intent.

In any case, I just spent ten minutes LOOKING for implementation notes
for NullSpace, and have not found any.  Searching for "implementation
notes" doesn't help and there's no link from NullSpace.  What use is
documentation I can't find?

In general, I don't like Mathematica's quirky Help Browser, in which I
cannot search for anything that's not indexed.  Every other help engine
on my computer (and there are hundreds) allows me to search for words,
and that's exactly what I need in order to find all mentions of
NullSpace.

Bobby Treat