Re: creating adjacency matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36591] Re: [mg36561] creating adjacency matrices
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 01:14:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

First of all, Import is not really meant for this sort of situation; it
is better to use ReadList. Suppose your file is:

1 A
1 B
2 B
3 C
4 B
5 D
5 E
6 F
7 A

and its name is "adj.txt". Here is one way you can deal with this case.
First, read in the file:

In[1]:=
ss=ReadList["adj.txt",{Number,Word}]

Out[1]=
{{1,A},{1,B},{2,B},{3,C},{4,B},{5,D},{5,E},{6,F},{7,A}}

Next, find how many "actors" there are:

In[2]:=
l=Length[Union[First[Transpose[ss]]]]

Out[2]=
7

Construct the adjacency matrix:

In[3]:=
Table[If[Intersection[Cases[ss,{i,x_}->x,{1}],

Cases[ss,{j,x_}->x,{1}]]=!={},1,0](1-KroneckerDelta[i,j]),{i,
       l},{j,l}]//MatrixForm

Out[3]//MatrixForm=
0   1   0   1   0   0   1

1   0   0   1   0   0   0

0   0   0   0   0   0   0

1   1   0   0   0   0   0

0   0   0   0   0   0   0

0   0   0   0   0   0   0

1   0   0   0   0   0   0

The function ToAdjacencyMatrix form the Combinatorica package
constructs the adjacency matrix from a graph, so it has no direct
application to your problem.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University
JAPAN