RE: Arrow pointers rather than Legend

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36617] RE: [mg36589] Arrow pointers rather than Legend
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:33:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

JM,

You are certainly correct in wanting to make a tidier plot! Legends are
often poor because they actually distract from the message of the data.

However, the best solution will depend on the particular nature of your
data. If there are not too many curves you could perhaps put Text labels
right on top of each curve. If there are many curves, or some of them are
close together, use arrows for some of them. If you have a really large
number of curves, then maybe a different approach is needed.

It is probably not possible to make a useful general routine for labeled
arrows because the best placement would depend upon the particular nature of
the graph. So, to make a nice graphic you will have to do some "hand" work,
specifying each Arrow and Text label. You can actually click the coordinates
off the graph to put into the Arrow and Text statements.

If you want to actually show me your plot, I could try to make some
suggestions.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: JM [mailto:j_m_1967 at hotmail.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Instead of using Legend in plots with multiple series is there a way
to have arrows with a text at the end identifying the different
series? The reason I'd like this is that the legend is a bit 'bulky'
looking and I'd want something tidier.

I know there is an Arrow package but I think you'd need to manually
enter each start and end point of each arrow - is there a simple
command to do this?

Also - is there a way to adjust the legend font size? I.e. make it
small so that it doesn't interfere with data series.
   _
  |\
    \
     \