Converting Between Bases

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36662] Converting Between Bases
  • From: "flip" <flip_alpha at safebunch.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 02:09:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I was looking for a function that can convert numbers between bases.

For example, going from Base 3 to Base 9, or from Base 16 to Base 8.

It seems like I have to a few steps and then use BaseForm to convert to the
desired end base.

Is there a single command or simple function to do such conversions?  For
example,

ConvertBase[from_, to_, num_]

would convert from base to base 9 using the number num as the number to
convert (it would best be allowed to let users input in that specific base
since they'd be going from base 3 to base 9, for example so maybe num is
needed at all).

Thank you, Flip