Exporting Cells to PDF

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36746] Exporting Cells to PDF
  • From: "Dave" <yoheythere at nospam.hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 04:32:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I've been using Mathematica 4.1 on Win98 as a word processor for
math-related documents, but often people that need to see the documents
don't have Mathematica, and for whatever reason on my computer the HTML
saves don't work at all. I'd like to export to PDF format. I can export
images to PDF format no problem using, for example
Export["c:\docs\plot3.pdf", Plot[Sin[x],{x,-2Pi,2Pi}]],
and I can export cells correctly to GIF, JPEG, and WMF formats (probably
more, those are the only ones I tested) using, for example
Export["c:\docs\cell4.gif", Cell[ <<...(copied cell data from Edit->Copy
As->Cell Expression)...>> ]]
When I change the filename to a .PDF and evaluate the cell, the program
displays 'Running...' for a second and gives the 'Out[n] = c:\docs\cell4.pdf
' message as if a file was created, but no file is created anywhere with any
name that I could find with Start->Find->[All files and folders created in
the previous day].
Is there a limitation to PDF exporting I don't know about? Do I need to
upgrade to 4.2? Am I doing something wrong with the Export[] command? Do I
need a faster computer? A patch? Something else?
Thanks in advance.