Re: Could someone verify a long Pi calculation in Version 4 for me?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36775] Re: Could someone verify a long Pi calculation in Version 4 for me?
  • From: Tom Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:50:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

On 9/23/02 12:19 AM, in article ammfi5$lk7$1 at smc.vnet.net, "zeno"
<zeno1234 at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Could you tell me the CPU you used and its speed etc...i am curious,
> thanks. It would be interesting to compare Version 4s Pi performance to
> other programs out there.

I used one processor of a dual 1GH Mac and got the same answer with the
following speed:

$Version
4.2 for Mac OS X (June 4, 2002)
oldmax = $MaxPrecision
     6
1. 10
$MaxPrecision = Infinity
Infinity
With[{n = 2^26}, Timing[
   pd = RealDigits[N[Pi, n + 1], 10, 20,
      19 - n]; ]]
{28794.1 Second, Null}
MaxMemoryUsed[]
512055204
pd
{{3, 3, 8, 6, 3, 2, 2, 0, 8, 9, 6, 2, 2, 3,

   4, 0, 9, 8, 0, 3}, -67108844}

Tom Burton