Re: help buttons

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40352] Re: help buttons
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 04:37:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <b5uorj$lko$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Gianluca Gorni <gorni at dimi.uniud.it> wrote:

> In a notebook how do I create hyperlinks to a given page of the
> on-line help?
>
> For example I tried to make a button link to the page
>
> Help>Help Browser>The rowser>The Mathematica Book> Mathematica Reference
> Guide>Input syntax> Input of Boxes
>
> using Input>Create Button>MainBookLink. Clicking on the resulting
> hyperlink does not lead to the right page.

[1] If you can find the hyperlink you are after in the Help Browser then
you can copy the text and the hyperlink you need. For example, if you
evaluate

  FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["MasterIndex", "Boxes"]]

(You'll see where this command comes from if you select a button or
hyperlink and go to Input | Edit Button...) and you are after a
hyperlink to, say, "input forms for boxes", you can simply copy this
line from the HelpBrowser, which includes the hyperlink and paste (and
edit) elsewhere. This Cell will contain

   Cell[TextData[{  "input forms for, ",  ButtonBox["2.8.12",
      ButtonData:>{"2.8.12", "12.15"},    ButtonStyle->"MainBookLink"],
      "\n"}], "Text"]

[2] The link you refer to above can be reached via evaluating

  FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["MainBook", "A.2.9"]]

Here is the same information in a text cell as a hyperlink:

   Cell[TextData[{  "Input of Boxes: ",  ButtonBox["A.2.9",
      ButtonStyle->"MainBookLink"],  "."}], "Text"]

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 9380 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 9380 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul