RE: Enlarged graphics in MATHEMATICA

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40369] RE: [mg40331] Enlarged graphics in MATHEMATICA
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 01:42:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

KY,

There are a number of methods for solving this problem. First, you can click
on the graphic with the mouse, than grab one of the "handles" and drag the
graphic to a larger size. If you change and reevaluate the graphic code it
will still use the larger size. If you delete the output graphics or
evaluate in a fresh notebook it will revert to the smaller default graphic
size.

You can use the graphics option ImageSize -> 500, say, in your Plot
statement and then Mathematica will always use the specified size.

If you are making a lot of plots, say with the Plot statement, then you
could redefine it to always include the ImageSize option, and whatever other
options you wish to use.

myPlot[args__, opts___?OptionQ] :=
  Plot[args,
    opts,
    ImageSize -> 500,
    Frame -> True]

Needs["Graphics`Colors`"]

myPlot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2Pi},
    PlotLabel -> Sin[x],
    Background -> Linen];

That saves typing the ImageSize and Frame options each time you make a plot.
You could also change ImageSize or Frame just by including them in the
myPlot statement. The only trouble is that if you are using a number of
different plot types you will have to make a definition for each plot type.

If you are using the DrawGraphics package and paradigm, then you can make
one definition for all your 2D graphics and a second definition for all your
3D graphics, if needed.

For example, right now I am trying to learn some complex analysis using
Tristan Needham's "Visual Complex Analysis" book. I found that I was always
typing the same options into my graphics statements so I made the
definition:

ComplexGraphics[primitives : {___}, opts___] :=
  Draw2D[primitives,
    opts,
    AspectRatio -> Automatic,
    Frame -> True,
    FrameTicks -> False,
    Axes -> True,
    AxesOrigin -> {0, 0},
    AxesStyle -> Gray,
    ImageSize -> 500
    ]

That saves a lot of typing with each piece of graphics.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/