Re: How do you get polynomials listed in order of decreasing exponent?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40570] Re: How do you get polynomials listed in order of decreasing exponent?
  • From: a_cjones at hotmail.com (cdj)
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 03:40:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dr Bob <majort at cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:<b70ccd$89p$1 at smc.vnet.net>...

> There are ways to do that, but why?
>
> Either way, it's the same polynomial, and you can learn to like the one you
> see all the time.

lol - few things are more infuriating than asking how to achieve a
certain effect and getting a response of the form "Only a jackass
would want to achieve that effect" - lol - and to think: a few minutes
ago I was taken with how nice/friendly/easy going/unjudgmental this
newsgroup was.. - lol

In any case: I've got like a jillion worked high school-level algebra
problems that I have to check. The people who worked these problems
wrote the polynomial answers in descending format. Rather than work
the problems myself, I'd like to streamline the process, and have
Mathematica just give me the answer. Time is saved only if the
polynomial Mathematica gives me is in the same form as the polynomials
given to me by the people (or very nearly). Mathematica does not by
default sort polynomials the way people do, and I didn't know how to
get Mathematica to do this. Therefore I asked.

To everyone else who answered my question without requiring
justification/proof-of-concept/security clearance: Thanks very much,
it's apppreciated!

cdj