RE: Mixed derivative button on basic input palette

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40687] RE: [mg40659] Mixed derivative button on basic input palette
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 02:19:33 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Will,

You have to put parentheses around x^3 y^4, otherwise you are calculating

D[x^3, x, y]y^4

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Will Self [mailto:wself at msubillings.edu]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Would you try the mixed derivative button on your basic input palette
and see if it works?  Click on the button and put x and y in the two
subscripts, then put x^3y^4 in the box to the right.  I get 0, both in
versions 4.0 and 4.2. It seems that the Wolfram people could have
fixed this bug by now.

Of course, the kernel is fine, and
D[x^3y^4, x, y] gives the correct output 12x^2y^3.

I hope I'm not flogging a dead horse.  I did a search but found
nothing on this.

Thanks,

Will