Copying and Pasting Output that has StyleForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40767] Copying and Pasting Output that has StyleForm
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:38:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

If I define the following function

Needs["Graphics`Colors`"]
red[symbol_] := StyleForm[symbol, FontColor -> Red]

and then write

f[red@i]

I obtain output that has a red i as an argument. Its FullForm is

f[StyleForm[i, Rule[FontColor, RGBColor[1.`, 0.`, 0.`]]]]

But if I copy and paste the output with the red i, the pasted copy has a red
i, but as soon as I evaluate it the StyleForm is lost.

pasted copy with a red i
%//FullForm
f[i]
f[i]

Why is the StyleForm lost? Is this an unavoidable feature or a bug? It
certainly would be nice if copying and evaluating didn't lose the color
information. Is there a way around it?

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/