simulated annealing and gradient descent

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40755] simulated annealing and gradient descent
  • From: sean kim <shawn_s_kim at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:36:53 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hello group.

I'have been trying to implement simulated annealing
and gradient descent for my system of differential
equations which has second order spatial derivative as
well as time derivatives and i'm discretizing the
spatial term.

I have noticed some odd behaviours in my simulated
annealing, and i'm starting to think the problem may
lie with the parameter updating and annealing
schedule.

does anyone have experiences with the implementation
of simulated annealing within mathematica?  There
seems to be one post in the past asking if anyone has
ingeber's asa implemented in mathematica but no one
seems to have replied. I'm having problems with
implementing the parameter update that will depend on
the acceptance ratios. it will help tremendously if I
see some working code.

also, it seems to me that i'm in a similar situation
as one of the other user in that i'm not a
mathmatician, but working with pde's.  there were two
comments in the past dealing with using the method of
lines to approximate second order derivatives.
neither has any discussions of truncation errors. Does
anyone have experiences in that matter and willing to
comment with some codes?

thank you all.

sean

=====