Memory Usage Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41059] Memory Usage Problem
  • From: "Rolf Alber" <alber at isd.uni-stuttgart.de>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 04:24:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello together !

I am using Mathematica through a mathlink-connection from inside a
c-programm which is performing a genetic algorithm. This means that in each
generation I let Mathematica have a bunch of equations solved. The problem
now is that after a few thousands of generations I get an error Message that
Mathematica is running out of memory (No more memory
available.\012Mathematica kernel has shut down.\012Try quitting other
applications and then retry.).
I don't know why Mathematica seems to need more and more Memory for each
generation, because after each generation I send a "Remove["Global`*"];" to
Mathematica in order to clear all the symbols again (which I thought should
save some memory).

Now my question is: Is there a possibility to "reset" the kernel to it's
initial state (like exiting and restarting the kernel) ?
Or are there better ways to remove the data stored by the kernel than the
"Remove["Global'*"]" ?

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thank you,

rolF