Re: partitioning into equiprobable intervals

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41043] Re: partitioning into equiprobable intervals
  • From: bobhanlon at aol.com (Bob Hanlon)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 04:21:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Needs["Statistics`NormalDistribution`"];

{m,s}={5*Random[], 2*Random[]}

{1.3207,1.63467}

dist = NormalDistribution[m, s];

n=Random[Integer,{3,8}]

4

q = Table[Quantile[dist, k/n],{k,n-1}]

{0.218124,1.3207,2.42327}

CDF[dist,#]& /@ q

{0.25,0.5,0.75}

Plot[PDF[dist,x],{x,m-3s,m+3s},
    Frame->True,Axes->False,
    PlotStyle->RGBColor[0, 0, 1],
    Epilog->{AbsoluteDashing[{5,5 }],
        RGBColor[1, 0, 0],Table[
          Line[{{q[[k]],0},{q[[k]],PDF[dist,q[[k]]]}}],
          {k,n-1}]}];

Bob Hanlon

<< Subject:	partitioning into equiprobable intervals
From:		<susanlcw at aol.com>
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Date:		Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:27:59 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

I am interested in taking a normal distribution with mean and standard
deviation known, and partitioning it into n equiprobable intervals.
This means that the area under the curve on each interval will be 1/n.
I know how to define the pdf, but I am at a loss as to how to design
some type of loop (?) that will accomplish this task.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
Susan