Re: Writing Applications for Mac OS X

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41040] Re: [mg41022] Writing Applications for Mac OS X
  • From: "Y.A.Tesiram" <yas at pcomm.hfi.unimelb.edu.au>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 04:20:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi David,
Hope all is well.

With MacOS X you can see an applications contents using the Finder by
right clicking on the Mathematica icon and choosing Show Package Contents.
You can then follow the directory tree and copy AddOn packages
accordingly.

Alternatively you can use a terminal to copy the AddOn package to the
appropriate directory. Note that when Mathematica installs itself on the
Mac it has a space in one of its folder names, e.g. Mathematica 4.1. This
plays havoc with command line instructions. So if you use a terminal use
the escape character to let the command line know that a space follows but
its still the one name, e.g. from the command line,

cp -r $PATH_TO_DAVES/Package /Applications/Mathematica\ 4.1/AddOns/....

You will also find another Folder in the users home area named Library
in which you will find a Mathematica folder in here and really it should
be here that your friend should install the AddOn package. The structure
of this directory is exactly the same as that of the main Mathematica
installation. However this will keep it local to their area only and no
one else will be able to use the package. If the package is to be shared
then it is best to put it in with the AddOns package in the main
Mathematica bundle and the above instructions will get you there. Again
you can use the command line to do the job for you,

cp -r $PATH_TO_DAVES/Package ~/Library/Mathematica/AddOns/4.1/AddOns

Incidently, some of what I have said above may be different for
Mathematica version 4.2. In 4.2 AddOns can be installed in

~/Library/Mathematica/Applications

or in

/Applications/Mathematica/AddOns

And finally check that the ~/Library/Mathematica/...etc../ is in the
Mathematica $Path variable.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Yas