Re: Dealing with large data sets

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42972] Re: Dealing with large data sets
  • From: bobhanlon at aol.com (Bob Hanlon)
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 00:53:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mean is undefined unless you have loaded a statistics package or defined it
yourself.

mean[x_List] := Tr[x]/Length[x];

Bob Hanlon

In article <bgqabr$dd6$1 at smc.vnet.net>, civnrn at hotmail.com wrote:

<< I have a large dataset (156381 points) and I wish to fit a
distribution to the dataset.  However I cannot seem to get Mathematica to
recognise the dataset.  I imported the data as "testdata" then did
Mean[testdata].  Unfortunately this command just repeated the data and
failed to give me the mean value.

I repeated everything using another data format:
{0.217,0.434,0.652 etc...} with the same response.