Re: Dealing with large data sets

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42996] Re: Dealing with large data sets
  • From: Bill Rowe <listuser at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 00:53:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 8/6/03 at 3:16 AM, civnrn at hotmail.com (Rees) wrote:

> I have a large dataset (156381 points) and I wish to fit a
> distribution to the dataset.  However I cannot seem to get Mathematica to
> recognise the dataset.  I imported the data as "testdata" then did
> Mean[testdata].  Unfortunately this command just repeated the data and
> failed to give me the mean value.

> I repeated everything using another data format:
> {0.217,0.434,0.652 etc...} with the same response.

Although you didn't state what version of Mathematica you are using, from your description I assume it is a version before 5.0. In these versions it is necessary to either load the package Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics` or to write a function definition defining the function Mean. That is, there is no built in function Mean in versions before version 5.0

You can load the package by doing

<<Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics`

or

<<Statistics`

A simple piece of code for computing the mean is:

mean[x_]:= Tr[x]/Length[x]