Clear vs. remove?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43043] Clear vs. remove?
  • From: "Jonathan Greenberg" <greenberg at ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 02:57:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm trying to do some memory management for an algorithm I'm writing in
Mathematica -- does Clear just remove the values, but leaves the memory
registry open (e.g. whatever the original size of the variable, that amount
of memory is still being used)?  I am using clear and am not seeing a
decrease in memory at the appropriate time.  Should I be using remove, or
some other function to clean up the memory?

--j