Re: von Neumann entropy

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43141] Re: von Neumann entropy
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <luttrell at _removemefirst_westmal.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 05:07:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You could Unprotect the Log function and then make appropriate definitions
that would achieve the effect you want. However there is another way of
computing the result you want which is much closer to the way that one would
do this sort of calculation by hand (i.e. replace the zeros by some small
quantity, and take the limit as the quantity goes to zero).

Mathematica can correctly evaluate the following limit to give zero:

Limit[x*Log[x], x -> 0]

So rather than have zero entries in the rho matrix you could replace them by
a symbol (Epsilon, say), and then take the limit Epsilon->0 at the end of
the calculation.

--
Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK