Re: Can plot take limits? Or something like it ...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43184] Re: Can plot take limits? Or something like it ...
  • From: bobhanlon at aol.com (Bob Hanlon)
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 04:27:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Define the limit explicitly.

sa[0 | 0.] = 1;
sa[x_] := Sin[x]/x;

Plot[sa[x],{x,0,1}];
Plot3D[y*sa[x],{x,0,1},{y,0,1}];

Bob Hanlon

In article <bhkkim$pbg$1 at smc.vnet.net>, mathieu_mcphie at yahoo.com.au (Mathieu
McPhie) wrote:

<< I'm sure this is a problem encountered (and answered) before. And it
is just one of the many I have encountered with this drat perverse
progam. Anyway ...

The following two commands (this is an extremely cut down version of
my problem so try and be general)

Plot[Sin[x]/x, {x, 0, 1}]
Plot3D[y*Sin[x]/x, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]

The first works perfectly, correctly going toward the limit at x=0 of
1.

For the second I get ...

Power::infy : Infinite expression 1/0. encountered.