How does MathReader work?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43337] How does MathReader work?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 04:10:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear MathGroup and WRI,

I am interesting in knowing more precisely what can be done with MathReader.
I suspect that it doesn't do what I really want but the documentation is a
bit vague.

This is what I would like MathReader to do:

1) The MathReader user should be able to open a Mathematica notebook with
all output and graphics deleted and then evaluate the notebook and generate
the graphics and animation.

2) The MathReader user should be able to install third party packages and
applications, which could be utilized by the notebooks he reads.

3) But the MathReader user could not edit or change any notebook. He could
not type in his own statements. He would be strictly limited to evaluating
notebooks created by full Mathematica owners.

If MathReader cannot evaluate a notebook, then all the graphics, animation
and traditional form output must be embedded and this means that for all
practical purposes the notebooks are too large for routine transmission. In
that case MathReader can only be used for trivial purposes.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/