Plot Rendering Problem with V5 FrontEnd on Linux

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43419] Plot Rendering Problem with V5 FrontEnd on Linux
  • From: Cheng-Pang Liu <cpliu at shaw.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:16:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I tried two very simple plots in V5 frontend environment on Linux
(RedHat 8.0):

1) Plot[x,{x,0,1}]

2) Plot[0.00000001*x,{x,0,1}]

While the first one comes out fine, the second one just freezes when the
plot is being rendering (the title bar shows:
Rendering...Running...Untitled.nb*), and the whole Mathematica stops to
respond so that I have to kill the frontend process in order to exit.

I suspect the problem have something to do with converting the tick
points from their original form to the scientific notation.

I also found that

1) Running in the kernel environment does not have this problem.

2) V5 frontend can still successfully load in plots, ones generated in
V4, with tick points in scientific notation.

Any idea or possible solution?

Thanks!

C.P.