Displaying NotebookML Using CSS

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45295] Displaying NotebookML Using CSS
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <luttrell at _removemefirst_westmal.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:22:04 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In the Help Browser (Version 5) it says in the section on "Displaying
NotebookML Using CSS":

"If you save a notebook as NotebookML and CSS (instead of simply converting
it to HTML), the resulting file can be rendered in a web browser. The
advantage of this approach is that you only need to create a single
document, which can be viewed either in web browsers or in Mathematica. A
non-Mathematica user can view the document in any web browser. But a
Mathematica user will be able to open and edit the document as a notebook,
evaluate the input, manipulate the graphics, and so on."

That sounds like exactly what I would like to do in order to publish
notebooks on the web in a way that keeps everyone happy.

The example given in the Help Browser is:

Export["NotebookML.xml",InputNotebook[],
  ConversionOptions\[Rule]{"StyleSheets"\[Rule]{"type"->"text/css",
          "href"->"css/presentation.css"}}]

However I am unable to guess at how I should modify this to create an XML
file of a notebook (in the standard "Report" style, say) that will open
cleanly in IE 6. I did find what looked like the relevant CSS files in
SystemFiles\IncludeFiles\XML\CSS, but that's as far as I got.

Does anyone know how to do this?

--
Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK