Algebra of differential operators

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39246] Algebra of differential operators
  • From: Paolo Zavarise <NOSPAMpaolozavarise at libero.it>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 03:06:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I've looked old messages but i don't find a clear answer.

What's the best way (simple, general and without dummy functions) to define
in mathematica 4.2 a differential operator?

For example, how can I evaluate laplacian operator in spherical coordinates
? (without using ad-hoc packages... i want to enter expression of d/dx,
d/dy, d/dz and mathematica must compute (d/dx)^2+(d/dy)^2+(d/dz)^2)

How can i evaluate powers,product etc... of operators ?

Help me, thanks
Paolo Zavarise