smoothing functions to avoid artifacts in graphs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39288] smoothing functions to avoid artifacts in graphs
  • From: Gerald Kaiser <kaiser at wavelets.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 04:50:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm trying to make a 3D plot of a rapidly varying positive function,
but no matter by how much I increase PlotPoints, I get artifacts,
probably due to  insufficient sampling. When I change the PotPoints
number, the artifacts change cahracter but remain present. Old plots I
have with another system of the same function are smooth and reflect its true
behavior. Does Mathematica have an option to smooth data before
plotting?

Thanks,

Gerald Kaiser
The Virginia Center for Signals and Waves
http://www.wavelets.com