RE: smoothing functions to avoid artifacts in graphs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39297] RE: [mg39288] smoothing functions to avoid artifacts in graphs
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 01:07:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Gerald,

Perhaps you could give us a better description of the plot you are making
and the nature of the artifacts.

Mathematica does have small problems in the rendering of 3D images. It will
often introduce small spurious lines. In some cases when explicitly
combining Line[_] with Polygon[_], directives that go with the Line are
confused. I don't know if these problems are specific to Mathematica or
associated with 3D rendering in general. Mathematica also has a lot of
trouble when surfaces are "weaved" together with multiple intersections due
to the finite polygon representation. This might occur, for example, if you
double plot a sphere.

On the other hand, it may be a problem with the nature of your function and
the method used to plot it. Perhaps you could give more information.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Gerald Kaiser [mailto:kaiser at wavelets.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I'm trying to make a 3D plot of a rapidly varying positive function,
but no matter by how much I increase PlotPoints, I get artifacts,
probably due to  insufficient sampling. When I change the PotPoints
number, the artifacts change cahracter but remain present. Old plots I
have with another system of the same function are smooth and reflect its
true
behavior. Does Mathematica have an option to smooth data before
plotting?

Thanks,

Gerald Kaiser
The Virginia Center for Signals and Waves
http://www.wavelets.com