Re: Simple List question. HELP.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39404] Re: [mg39389] Simple List question. HELP.
  • From: Jan Mangaldan <hokenjan at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:18:36 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This works:
In[1]:= lst = {};
In[2]:= AppendTo[lst, {0, 1}]
Out[2]:= {{0, 1}}
In[3]:= AppendTo[lst, {1, 2}]
Out[3]:= {{0, 1}, {1, 2}}
In[4]:= AppendTo[lst. {2, c}]
Out[4]:= {{0,1}, {1, 2}, {2, c}}
You can find out more about AppendTo[] in The Mathematica Book.
                                                                                                       Jan M. (^_^)

P.S. You can repeat the procedure as many times as necessary to keep adding elements to your list.
Of course, it would be better if you just type-in the whole list.
 Daniel Heneghan <dhenegha at bway.net> wrote:
I am new to Mathematica. This is vexing. All I want to do is create a
2-dimensional list so that I can enter x,y values and then plot the
list. I want to do this programmatically. I am having such incredible
trouble trying to accomplish this simple task. I know that there is
probably a Mathematica optimized way to do this, but I and trying to
write a little program and for now I want to stay with paradigms that I
am familiar with. Here is what I have been doing.

Create a 2 dimensional list.
In[532] lst={{}}
Out[532]= {{}}

Enter the first pair into the first place in the list.
In[533]:= lst[1]={{0,1}}

Errors and beeps here, but it does seem to record the correct values.
Set::write: Tag List in {{}}[1] is Protected.
Out[533]={{0,1}}

Add anoter pair of values.

In[534]:= lst=Append[lst,{{1,2}}]
Out[534]= {{},{{1,2}}}
The second pair is OK, but the first pair has been obliterated.

Add another pair. Now all subsequent entries are OK, but I still have
lost the first pair.
In[535]:= lst=Append[lst,{{2,c}}]

What is going on? What are the mysteries of working with lists in
Mathematica. In any programming language this is simple. I can't grasp
it in Mathematica. The reason I need to do this is that for the list
plot I need the x values to start at 0 not 1.

Thanks,

Daniel Heneghan
Ceara Systems
(212) 696-9208