Re: Finding the closest number from a list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39541] Re: Finding the closest number from a list
  • From: "Carl K. Woll" <carlw at u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 03:37:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Jacob,

The first thought that I had was to use Interpolation, similar to what Rob
Knapp posted. However, Rob's function found the closest y whether it was
greater than or less than your x[i]. If you only care to find the first y[i]
that is greater (or less than) a particular x[i] (and this seems to be what
you wanted), it is possible to speed up Rob's solution considerably. Again,
we create an interpolating function, but this time we use the Interpolation
function, as in:

ulint=Interpolation[Transpose[{y,y}],InterpolationOrder->0];

The ulint function is a ladder function which gives the value of the first y
greater than its argument. Since interpolating functions are listable, we
just apply ulint to your set of x values:

closestabove=ulint[x];

where closestabove is the list of closest values of y to each x (actually,
the first y greater than each x).

If instead, you want the first y lower than a particular value of x, we need
to modify as follows:

llint=Interpolation[Transpose[-{y,y}],InterpolationOrder->0];

closestbelow=-llint[-x];

In my testing, this approach was an order of magnitude faster than both
Hartmut Wolf's and Rob Knapp's solutions.

Carl Woll
Physics Dept
U of Washington

news:b32ab1$b3o$1 at smc.vnet.net...