Re: how do i insert a diagram in mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39612] Re: how do i insert a diagram in mathematica?
  • From: "Peltio" <peltio at twilight.zone>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:41:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"yaw" wrote:

>i have some diagrams in word and i'll like to include it in my mathematica
>file.I tried cut and paste but it is not working

A possible workaround, if you have a version of Mathematica that supports
the Import function, is to make a GIF of your diagram (with a third party
software such as The Gimp, Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro for
example), place it in a folder that's in your path (you could make a Pics
folder in the same folder as the NB and then switch to it) and then import
the picture with

    Show[Import["mypicture.gif"]];

Better yet, put somewhere into the notebook an initialization cell

    Fig[1]:=Show[Import["mypicture.gif"]]

And then another initialization cell

    Fig[1];

where you want to see the diagram. By initializing the notebook you will
import all the pictures you need.
This approach has the advantage that the pictures will be separated from the
notebook (as it happens for a web page) lifting a memory burden from it, and
it should avoid those 'blank frames' that affect certain cross platform
notebooks with embedded pictures (or at least that's an impression I had
with pictures that could not be shown even if their data was there, but I
could be wrong on this).

The problem is that the pictures imported in this way could be seen only on
versions of Mathematica that support Import _and_ that particular file format (a GIF
should costitute no problem, not so a PNG - for example). To use this
approach with older version you should write your own import routine. Which
shouldn't be difficult once you know how the data is represented, but it
takes its time.

Perhaps somewhere on the Mathso... er, in the Information Center there are
procedures to import the main graphics formats (bmp, jpg, gif, tiff). I
would stay clear from platform dependant formats such as Windows Meta File
(wmf), though.

But that's me. : )

Best regards,
Peltio
invalid address in reply-to, demunging required to mail me.
peltio at despammed dot com