Re: Design problem in 4.2?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38698] Re: [mg38689] Design problem in 4.2?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 03:42:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The obvious thing to do is to convert the output to InputForm. Another
possibility, which will allow the use of Standard Form something like
this. Choose a undefined operator that could reasonably pass for the
multiplication sign. One might for example use:

\!\(\[CircleDot]\)

Next, unprotect Times and define a FormatValue for it:

Unprotect[Times];

Format[Times[x_,y_],StandardForm]:=x\[CircleDot] y

Protect[Times];

With that, using StandardForm you will now get:

40(8)^t

\!\(5\[CircleDot]8\^\(1 + t\)\)

This ought to look rather better in Mathematica!

Andrzej Kozlowski
Yokohama, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/
http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/