RE: RE: Multiplelistplot question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38770] RE: [mg38759] RE: [mg38746] Multiplelistplot question
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:33:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Although the MultipleListPlot package has some nice functions in it like
Symbol and MakeSymbol, I always find the standard paradigm difficult to use.
It is often easier to deal directly with graphics primitives.

Here is an example.

Needs["Graphics`MultipleListPlot`"]
Needs["Graphics`Colors`"]

This makes some sample data...

data =
    Module[{y},
      Table[{{x, y = x + 0.5 + 5Random[Real, {-0.1, 0.1}]},
          ErrorBar[3{-Random[Real, {0.3, 1}], Random[Real, {0.3, 1}]}]}, {x,
          1, 15}]];

data
Length[data]

MultipleListPlot[data];

The way to put a style into the error bars should be to use the
ErrorBarFunction option. But, although the example in the Help works, I
could not make an ErrorBarFunction that worked for this case. (After
spending an hour or so.) Perhaps I am making a silly error and someone will
point out how to do it, but in the meantime I suspect there is a bug in the
ErrorBarFunction.

myerrorbar[p_, ErrorBar[{yminus_, yplus_}]] :=
  Module[{x, y},
    {x, y} = p;
    {Red, Line[{{x, y + yminus}, {x, y + yplus}}]}]

MultipleListPlot[data, ErrorBarFunction -> myerrorbar];

does not work and gives multiple errors.

So I fell back on using simple graphics primitives.

data2 = data /. {p_, ErrorBar[{yminus_, yplus_}]} :>
        Module[{x, y},
          {x, y} = p;
          {Point[p], {Red, Line[{{x, y + yminus}, {x, y + yplus}}]}}];

Show[Graphics[
      {AbsolutePointSize[4],
        data2}],
    Frame -> True,
    PlotLabel -> "Error Bars with Style",
    ImageSize -> 450];

I made simple red lines for the error bars, but one could make them as fancy
as one wants.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/