Workaround: FONT PROBLEM Mathematica 4.0 and SuSe Linux 7.3

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38773] Workaround: FONT PROBLEM Mathematica 4.0 and SuSe Linux 7.3
  • From: scherm.n at gmx.de (Norbert)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:33:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

thanks to Paul, Marko, Gerald, Matthias and Hendrik for their support.

Menwhile I have a satisfactory workaround for my problem: In the
following, step 1 & 2 remove the error messages while step 3 "solves"
the problem.

STEP 1) (not really necessary)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In (sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/swiegra_kaestchenfonts.html)
I found a hint so that I can guess now what happened.
The Fontserver was considerably redesigned from SuSe Linux 6.x to
version 7.3. It now provides a huge fontlist with more than 8000
entries!
(Instead of less than 2000 in the older versions)
This is the reason why the "Specific.tr" file has to be changed like
proposed in
http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/unix/interface/fonterrors.html.
The suggested modification of the file "Specific.tr" prevents the
error message

"The Mathematica fonts are not properly installed in your system.
Without these fonts,
 typeset mathematical expressions, cannot be displayed properly"

during the startup of the Front End.
However, after this modification the characters
in the front end still remain invisible :-( .

STEP 2) (not really necessary)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The fontserver of the SuSe 7.3 Version provides a list with feature
ISO10646-1 character
encodings -- that is new. Mathematica, complains about missing an approriate
encoding
file by giving the error Message

"The front end could not locate a Character Encoding file for
the requested encoding (ISO10646-1)"

The mess(age) results from a missing file "ISO10646-1.m" in the folder
"/usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/CharacterEncodings/"
You can create a link from any existing appropriate(?) file in this
folder to get
rid of the error message
(see http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2001/Dec/msg00344.html).
But this will, unfortunately, not make the characters
visible in the front end ... :-(

STEP 3)
~~~~~~~
What finally helped me was the following:
In the front end menu

Edit -> Preferences -> Formatting Options -> Font Options -> Character
Encoding

I changed "Automatic" into "ISOLatin1"

and the characters ... appeared :-)

Now I have the characters more or less visible. I fear that the
Encoding scheme I selected is not the best for all front end outputs
so
that some things are hard to read (uff). But ... I am able to work
again ...

Greetings, yours

Norbert Scherm