Re: Waterfall Plot Plea for Help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38933] Re: Waterfall Plot Plea for Help
  • From: christopherpurcell <christopherpurcell at mac.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 00:45:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Raster would be a good starting point for waterfall plots.

records=50;
samples=128;
w=2. Pi 5; (* fundamental angular frequency of made up data *)
Clear[f];
f[t_]:=Cos[w t]+Cos[3 w t]/3+Cos[5 w t]/5+Random[Real,t]/60.; (* some
harmonic data with noise added *)
samplerate=100;  (* sampling rate Hz *)
data=Partition[Table[f[i/samplerate],{i,0,samples*records-1}],samples];
(* time series data partitioned into records.We could have windowed
here if desired *)
(* Plot the time series data next*)
ListPlot[Flatten[data],PlotJoined->True,Frame->True];
(* Then make a list of power spectra, one of each record: *)

powerspectra=Map[Take[#,samples/2]&,Map[Abs[Fourier[#]]&,data]];

(* Only half the spectra is taken to remove the folded over portion *)
(* here is a simple "frozen" waterfall plot *)
Show[Graphics[Raster[powerspectra],AspectRatio->records/samples,Frame-
 >True]];

You could then add windowing to the data records and a proper frequency
scale in Hz, and insert Logs and normalization to get the intensity in
greyscale or color keyed to a decibel scale. Next you can animate this,
so you see the waterfall growing in height on your screen, using the
animation ideas discussed in this forum over the last year or so, and
you would have what you seek.

 >From : Bruce Detterich < bruce.detterich at ieee.org >
 >Date : Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:33:12 -0500 (EST)

 >Searches of past discussion yielded a couple of threads on the topic of
 >waterfall plots a couple of years ago, but nothing too helpful.

 >I'm just looking for hints as to which fundamental plot command to
start
 >from.

Christopher Purcell
DRDC-Atlantic, 9 Grove St., PO Box 1012,
Dartmouth, NS Canada B2Y 3Z7
Tel: 902-426-3100-x389
Fax: 902-426-9654
chris.purcell at drdc-rddc.gc.ca