Problem with Limits; basic calculus

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38952] Problem with Limits; basic calculus
  • From: sophtwarez at hotmail.com (David Seruyange)
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 07:39:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hey all - I'm taking a basic calculus course that uses Mathematica.
We have been studying limits and I have been using the Limit function
to check if my answers are correct.
We were given the following function and asked to determine a limit:

Usually the approach is to select the dominant terms, factor and then
determine the limit.  My initial reason had me select -E^(-3x) in the
numerator and E^(-3x) in the denominator.  Factoring the terms would
yield -1, thus the limit for x->infinity.  But I plotted the function
and the real answer is somewhere near 3.
I then tried to use the Limit function which is not producing an
answer (perhaps I'm not sure of the usage).

Any help is greatly appreciated,

David Seruyange